Covenant Community Church is proud to be hosting our seventh annual Operation Christmas Child Packing Party. The packing party will be held 12:00 noon to 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, November 12. The party is a time of service and fellowship with our fellow Christians and is a time to instruct children in giving and aid to the poor. A fellowship lunch will be served at the beginning of the party. Please note this is a family-friendly event with age-appropriate activities for the children but there will be no childcare.
How Can I Be Involved?
There are three ways that one can be involved:
- Come to the packing party – November 12 from 12:00 noon to 2:30 p.m.
- Drop off a fully-assembled and paid box at the church before 12 noon on November 12.
- Donate money to the church to defray the costs of the boxes, contents, and shipping.
Packing Party Details
Please come to the packing party with items to pack into the boxes. Please shop for age-appropriate items for boys and girls in the age groups 2 to 4, 5 to 9, and 10 to 14 years of age. Some examples of items may include:
- TOYS: small cars, balls, dolls, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, small Etch A Sketch®, toys that light up or make noise (with extra batteries), Slinky, etc.
- SCHOOL SUPPLIES: pens, pencils and sharpener, crayons or markers, stamps and ink pad sets, writing pads or paper, solar calculators, coloring and picture books, etc.
- HYGIENE ITEMS: toothbrush, toothpaste, mild bar soap (in a plastic bag), comb, washcloth, etc.
- OTHER: hard candy and lollipops (please double bag all candy), mints, gum, T shirts, socks, ball caps; sunglasses, hair clips, toy jewelry, watches, flashlights (with extra batteries).
- A PERSONAL NOTE: In a separate envelope, you may enclose a note to the child and a photo of yourself or your family. (If you include your name and address, the child may write back.)
- DO NOT INCLUDE: Used or damaged items; war-related items such as toy guns, knives or military figures; chocolate or food; liquids or lotions; medications or vitamins; breakable items such as snowglobes or glass containers; aerosol cans
For some more insight from a missionary on the field on which items are the best, read this blog post: http://garrett.with.sim.org/index.php/archives/1675
The church will have on hand a number of plastic boxes to pack in. However please consider bringing your own plastic boxes (usually available at a dollar store) or a shoebox so we don’t run out.
The cost of a box to ship is $7. We ask that everyone participating in the packing party donate money to help defray this expense; however the church will ensure that all boxes that are packed get shipped. If you are participating in the packing party please do not pre-pay for your box’s shipping online! There will be a box for money at the packing party.
As usual, we will have events for children and be showing a Veggie Tales movie starting in the middle of the party.
Fully Assembled Boxes
|You can drop off a fully assembled box at the church anytime the office is open (Monday – Friday 10 to 3) the week before the party or anytime on Sunday November 12 until 2:00 p.m. All boxes dropped off must be fully-assembled and have either a pre-paid barcode affixed or an envelope with $7 under the rubber band. Click Here for Shipping Donations. Note this link will take you to Samaritan’s Purse.|
You can also donate to our OCC efforts by donating money to defray the costs of the items, boxes, and shipping. Please have any money gifted clearly marked “Operation Christmas Child” and drop it in the offering plate or turned into the church office no later than Friday, November 10. The event organizers need to know how much money is available to purchase items. Note for all non-CCPCA attendees – all donations are tax deductible if you request a statement.